Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Week 11: It's on Me

I woke up this morning and was thinking about the Kindness Countdown activity I have planned for tomorrow and realized that in the hustle and bustle of homeschooling, work and holiday preparations I never posted a writeup on the activity I did last week.  Oops!  I hope you don't mind two back-to-back posts.  (:


2014 has not been the kindest year to many of my friends and family.  People I care about have logged too many hours in hospitals across the country worrying about children, spouses, parents and grandparents.  And while I've spent a lot of time this year praying often and fervently, cooking meals and writing words of compassion, encouragement and sympathy, I have also found myself wishing I could be there more for them.  Wishing I could, just for a minute, make them happy.

In memory of those feelings, I took bags of quarters to a nearby hospital and, with a note attached, taped them to vending machines.


I know that when I've had emotional visits at hospitals in the past it's helped to take occasional breaks to recharge.  Most times that has included a walk in the halls to grab a snack or soda.

My hope is that if someone is in such need, having their goodie unexpectedly paid for by a stranger will lighten their load, if even just for a moment.  Or if a worker is having a difficult day, I hope they too will find some relief in an unexpected random act of kindness. 

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Ian Maclaren

No comments:

Post a Comment