Thursday, February 19, 2015

Turning 40 with Fun, Fudge and my Favorite People


I've received a handful of emails and Facebook messages from Kindness Countdown followers asking how I'm planning on celebrating my 40th birthday when it arrives...in 18 weeks...not that I'm keeping track or anything.  ;) 

Today's high temperature is 1 degree.  A whole whopping 1.  And so I thought I would take a quick mental vacation and paint a picture of summer and sunshine and sandals.

To answer everyone's question, I will be spending my birthday on Mackinac Island, one of my favorite places on the planet.

My family took trips to Mackinac when I was a little girl, driving up 360 miles, staying off-island the first night and then waking to take an early morning ferry over to spend two or three days hiking, eating fudge, biking the 8.4 mile island perimeter trail, and taking in the history and sound of horse hooves (all motorized vehicles were banned from the island in 1898).


When on Mackinac, you can't help but gaze at Grand Hotel, a historic resort whose white columns, geranium-lined porch (which measures 660 feet and holds the title as the world's largest) and manicured lawns and gardens transport you to a magical place (the movie Somewhere in Time was filmed on the island, with most scenes taking place in the hotel). 

I remember a particular ferry ride off of the island when I was about 10 in which I announced to my parents and brother, "When I'm grown and have a family of my own, we're going to stay there," I said as I pointed to the magnificent white hotel that boldly stood out from it's lush green surroundings.

I'm beyond excited to say that my bold proclamation will be coming true!  Our family of five will be staying at Grand Hotel for a couple of nights, relaxing, swimming, playing lawn games and duck-pin bowling, renting bikes and perhaps a horse and carriage (something I've always wanted to do), and eating delicious five-course meals.  We'll also be sure to hike to Arch Rock, Scull Cave, and tour Fort Mackinac, which we've covered during this year's Revolutionary War homeschool studies.


You could say I'm just a little bit excited.  Especially today, when it's so cold (-30 degree wind chills) that even the car radio refuses to work until the car has a chance to warm up.

At least I have 18 more weeks of kindness to look forward to in the meantime! 

No comments:

Post a Comment