Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Week 11: Supplying Samaritan's Purse


Samaritan's Purse: Operation Christmas Child is my family's first sign of Christmas and one of our favorite traditions of the season! This year was no different!

Last week Friday (I'm a few days late in writing this, but rest assured, the KC activities continue to remain on schedule...this post is just a wee bit tardy), my children and I went shopping and filled boxes that will be shipped to children in need of encouragement, love, basic necessities, and the Gospel this holiday season.

To get started, I picked up a few of the boxes and forms that our church provided (visit www.samaritanspurse.org/ to find a distribution and pick-up location near you!) and then my children chose what age and gender they wanted to pack a box for. As always, my daughters packed for girls their age and my son for a boy just a few years younger than him. 


Next, we headed to the store to pick out basic items for the boxes (soap, hairbrushes, deodorant, socks, toothbrushes, etc) and then my kids let loose filling their baskets with special items they thought the kids might like: crayons, notebooks, balls, an airplane, stickers, and more. 

When we got home, my kids placed all of their purchased items into the boxes and we talked about how much these simple things we take for granted will mean to the children receiving them...it's such a blessing for my kids to take part in moments like this, and I appreciate encouraging their little hearts full of so much love. 


On Sunday, we dropped our boxes off at church, where next week, my son and some of his friends will return to fill dozens of other boxes in a group activity and then pack up the hundreds of donations into a trailer to be shipped out for distribution! (I'm beyond proud of him and how he balances school, work, and a few service hours each week at the age of 15!)

This is such a fun and meaningful activity to do as a family and I encourage anyone looking to spread the message of gratitude and compassion onto their children to find a participating location near you in the next week and a half! It has been such a blessing to our family over the years, I know it will become a family favorite for you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment