Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Week 24: Helping Hands at Mitten Fest


My good friend BJ owns a little bar called Burnhearts in Bay View on Milwaukee's South Side. No matter where you live, if you like beer, you've probably heard of it

It's made many a Thrillist (including Best Beer Bar), was called out by the New York Times as a must-stop if you visit Milwaukee, and even Draft Magazine put it on their top 100 bar list! 

And while that's all most certainly true, the fact about Burnhearts that carries the most weight with me is the kind heart of my friend, it's owner, Mr. Seidel (standing next to me in the photo below). 


Not all business owners would place importance on raising awareness, money, and collecting food donations when running a street festival, but that's just what my buddy has done. And I'm not talking small potatoes.

I'm talking almost $3,000 and 5,000 pounds of food raised in 2019, a record I expect was crushed this weekend (we're still waiting on final tallies).

This week's Kindness Countdown activity was a no-brainer: I donated food to the Hunger Task Force, and I made cookies for my friend Biju working the stage, the bands that played, and my friends and I who are spoiled enough to hang out in the spacious stage tent (Mitten Fest gets quite crowded).


A great time was had by all! Lots of cute winter attire was worn, people purchased amazing food truck eats, and it's Milwaukee so duh, loads of beer was consumed. All responsibly, I hope.

I'm already looking forward to next year. Be sure to join in the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment