Monday, June 29, 2020

Week 45: Picnic Party with Pinwheels



Well, this is it, the last week of my little project. I truly can't believe it's over. What a wild ride this has been!

Never did I ever think I'd find myself shifting to performs acts of kindness related to a global pandemic. And I certainly couldn't have predicted being in Real Simple, People, local newspapers/radio and news stations, and a couple of other avenues still coming in July!

For my grand finale, I threw a picnic party at a park in my town and invited friends and family who have supported me over the past 45 weeks...actually more like 45 years.

It was so much fun! I didn't take any pictures with the exception of my adorable nephew when I was setting up and one shot of me after cleaning up.


I guess in this day and age, and for someone who spends a descent amount of time on social media, that's a sign of a great time. (Note to self: do more things that make me forget to check my phone.)

My family was there, my parents, brother, sister-in-law, and nephew. A friend from college stopped by, a family of friends from my daughters' Irish dancing days (they beat us at Kubb!)joined in the fun, the owner of my gym, some couple friends of ours (who were supposed to be in Europe, so that's one COVID silver lining), friends from years and years ago, neighbors, etc.

It was amazing to have people from so different many parts of my life overlapping throughout the afternoon!

I supplied everyone with alcoholic beverages (I offered soda, but this is Summer in Wisconsin so...) and had a snack table laid out. We played yard games, told stories, and caught up.

The only thing missing were birthday hugs.


To expand the celebration, I set up 45 pinwheels in the park which I then posted to our town's Facebook page.

It was fun watching kids running across the field during the party to snag a birthday pinwheel! And it was really special to have hundreds of people join in the celebration with "reactions" and comments, wishing me a happy birthday and sharing plans to celebrate their own future birthdays with giving instead of receiving.

It was a good day! And it's been a great 45 weeks!

But that's a wrap on the Kindness Countdown project for a bit.

Tomorrow I wake up 45 years old.


A new year ahead of me and a blank slate. I'm trying something new this year...my only plan is go where opportunities and experiences take me...to wake up each day and work to be my best self and live my best life.

If you want to follow along, check out my Instagram page, gilded.living, where I share daily stories and post on big and small happenings in my life, good books/food/drinks, travel destinations to check out, inspirational thoughts and experiences, snippets of my fitness journey (it sure is interesting at age 45), Wisconsin sports teams (Go Pack Go!), more kind acts (good habits die hard), and more!

If you want to stay inspired to do good, check out the Kindness Countdown Facebook page where I will continue to share good news I happen upon in hopes of helping people focus on the good around them and inspire others to brighten their own little corner of the world.

Until we meet again, be well. Lend a hand where you can. Take care of yourself and others.

I truly believe the world is a better place with you in it and that you were born in this time, with your unique set of talents, to do big and beautiful things.

So what are you waiting for? Now is the time! GO DO THEM!

xoxo,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment