Thursday, January 22, 2015

Week 18: A Helping Haircut


Ethan Zohn, one of my favorite Survivor contestants and two-time cancer survivor, once said "My hair is my identity."  

He, like so many other people who lose their hair battling cancer, Alopecia or Trichotillomania, or as a result of burns, felt less like himself when he lost his hair during chemotherapy treatments.  And it is for these courageous people, and in memory of a dear friend's daughter, that I donated 8+ inches of hair yesterday.  

Like Mr. Zohn, my hair is part of my identity...this act of kindness was a big one for me, as silly as it may sound (it's only hair...it grows back, after all).  But I'm so glad I did it, and the experience couldn't have been more memorable and special.  I even received my own act of kindness!


When I made my haircut appointment with Samantha (I highly recommend her!) at Blush Beauty Boutique I mentioned I was going to be cutting quite a bit off to donate.  Last night, when my cut was finished, Sam told me there was no charge for my new do.  After giving her a healthy tip, I walked outside and saw the sign above painted on the building across the street.

I smiled at the message and said a prayer for the little girl who would be receiving my hair, for comfort and confidence. And then I walked to my car, with a little extra spring in my step.  Would you believe at that moment, fluffy white snowflakes began to fall?  They did.  It was a magical moment.

So, what organization did I donate my hair to?  Well, after much research and consideration, I chose Children with Hair Loss, the only organization that gives human hair replacements to over 300 children a year...at no cost to them.


Their mission is to empower children to become whole again by making hair replacement available, especially to those who are financially challenged and might otherwise not have a means of obtaining the hair they want and need.  Their goal is "to assist as many of these children as possible in changing their lives by improving their outlooks and empowering them with a degree of self-confidence that will allow them to face the world with renewed self-esteem."  

For those of you with long locks or looking to go short, please consider donating to this great nonprofit.  And if you have gray or color-treated hair, rest assured.  They, unlike other organizations, accept all hair donations and match up the hair accordingly so it can be dyed evenly.  Just think of the smile your hair will put on a child's face! 

"A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life." - Coco Chanel

No comments:

Post a Comment