Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Week 19: Nurturing Nature


Our family is what you'd call outdoorsy.  We tap maple trees in the spring, camp in the summer, climb crimson trees in the fall, and snowshoe in the winter.  We dissect owl pellets we find on hikes and can identify most plants and tracks we come across.  My kids know how to read a compass and are getting better at starting a fire from flint.

Given our love of nature, I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn that one of our favorite places on the planet is Riveredge Nature Center - 379 acres full of educational opportunities!

Riveredge is currently fundraising to fix up their Chicken Coop, a vintage cozy coop converted into a classroom where my children have learning sessions throughout the year, including cold winter mornings which are warmed by both the wood-burning stove and the friendliness of educators employed there.  How fortunate my children are to have the opportunity to witness first-hand the magic of biodiverstiy on the land of Riveredge.  As a result they are developing an appreciation of the interconnectedness of energy, shelter, food, waste, water, and land management.


I feel grateful to have the opportunity to give back to Riveredge for this week's Kindness Countdown activity, having donated to their fundraising goals in my children's names.  I love that this frees up funds for them to use in their outreach programs that might not otherwise be possible...for city-children to see and hold frogs, to learn about nature, and feel connected to a world they've only seen in books and on TV. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in the mood for a walk outside...

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment