Thursday, March 19, 2020

Week 31: ER Special Delivery


These are some surreal times. Just when I think I have a handle on my thoughts and feelings about COVID-19 and all of the closings, cancelled activities and vacations, and social-distancing, some anxiety sneaks in and I need to take a minute to refocus and relax.

But do you know who doesn't have much time for processing their feelings? Those on the front lines taking care of the rest of us.

I've spent a good chunk of time brainstorming what I could do for those working in the hospitals near me this past weekend. And while I'm not sure cookies scream "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICES AND LITERALLY SAVING LIVES EVERY DAY" but it's all I could come up with on such short notice (can you believe how quickly this has escalated?!).

And so Saturday, I drove to the two ERs near my home and dropped off a note with some cookies (not homemade, because, pandemic).


Now, before you all run into your nearest ER with armloads of baked goods, let me tell you how I did it, because I'm taking my role in the flattening of the curve quite seriously.

I located a police officer outside the hospital and gave the cookies to him to deliver, therefore keeping myself free from exposure and ensuring I didn't pass the virus onto anyone else.

Don't feel comfortable with that? Maybe in a few weeks, when the virus is under control and everyone is out of harm's way, we could all drop off goodies as a post-community-saving show of gratitude.

Until then, keep these front line warriors in your thoughts and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment