Saturday, May 2, 2020

Week 37: May Day Baskets


I was a little girl growing up on the south side of Milwaukee in the 70s and 80s, where May Day was celebrated...at least it was in my family. My mom had us put together baskets of goodies, set them on our neighbor's front steps, ring their doorbells, and run!

Seeing as we're currently social distancing, I thought this would be the perfect year to bring back the tradition of May Day baskets (but not the Maypole...I never understood what that was all about).


My kids and I crafted glittered butterfly cards, cut a half-dozen daffodils from our yard, and assembled some of our hen's fresh eggs in cartons, safely loaded it all in a basket, and walked down our block dropping goodies off on our neighbor's stoops. 

Although our intentions were to "ding dong ditch," we were happy to be caught in the act a couple of times and enjoyed the chats with our neighbors.


It doesn't need to be a special day and you don't have to drop off anything big...however you let your neighbors know, they'll appreciate you thinking of them and wishing them well. 

Hopefully we can all do that in person, complete with hugs and cookouts and such SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment