Saturday, May 9, 2020

Week 38: Signs of the Times


What a time to be alive!

Never did I ever think I'd see my children wearing masks outside of a hospital during flu season.

Never did I ever think I'd be excited to find someone to make matching masks for my daughters and me in Rifle Paper Co. floral fabric.

Never did I ever think I'd be crafting encouraging mask signs.

But here we are.


This week, I painted a half-dozen signs* with a positive message to hang up around my town in hopes of making people smile behind the masks they're wearing to keep our community safe.

I painted them on the back of cereal and snack boxes and then sprayed them with a protectant coating to guard against precipitation (it's May and I wish I could have said "rain" there, but alas, it's Wisconsin and it snowed yesterday and may again tomorrow).

I hung the posters up outside of a couple of restaurants that take window order, on a tree in a park where people exercise, and downtown where lots of families are taking nightly strolls.


I hope the signs provide a boost of encouragement for people to continue wearing their masks (peer pressure is real).

I hope it makes people happy who are hiding their smiles for a while.

I hope everyone continues to care for one another in all of the creative and compassionate ways I've witnessed each day of this surreal season of our lives.

What a time to be alive!

* - Sign design is based off of a photograph someone took and shared online while out on a walk in California. (:



This week's Kindness Countdown activity was photographed and videotaped by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel for an article they'll soon be running on my little project. I'll share the link when it becomes available! 

No comments:

Post a Comment