Thursday, November 6, 2014

Week 7: Crafting Kindness


I was fortunate to grow up near my immediate family.  Both sets of grandparents were a short bike ride away, and their homes were always full of special treats, fun activities, and loving memories just waiting to be made.

Unfortunately, not all families can live in such close proximity to one another and celebrate holidays together.  I often think of the elderly who reside in assisted living facilities without family nearby this time of year.  And so we decided to do something to brighten their Thanksgiving for this week's Kindness Countdown activity.

My children and I went to my parent's house and assembled 20 of these little tom turkeys, filling each with miniature chocolate bars, to take to the assisted living facility in their town. My parents have always been wonderful about spreading cheer there (and countless other places), and each time they deliver goodies, the director tells them how much these little creations mean to the residents...especially during the holidays.

Oriental Trading is my family's go-to place to order holiday craft kits for this purpose.  The items are fun and easy to create and they're colorful and attractive when they're complete.  And with prices per piece being under a dollar 99.9% of the time, you don't have to break the bank to spread kindness! 

"A population that does not take care of the elderly and of the young has no future, because it abuses both its memory and its promise." - Pope Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment