Sunday, March 1, 2015

Week 23: Personal Pen Pals

I am good at a few things.  I can multitask like no one's business.  I am a decent cook.  I like to think I'm not screwing up this parenting thing too badly (at least on most days).  I am a faithful friend.

I come up short on a few things as well.  I lack patience.  I almost always choose fun over work.  I buy new shoes when I do not need them.  I am, at times, too straightforward.  I have terrible penmanship.

This week I combined one talent and one weakness:  I wrote a pile of letters to special friends and family members. Handwritten letters.  The old school kind.


I had a scary situation Monday night while my husband was out of town: one of our daughters registered a temperature of 105.2.  After a panicky phone call to my husband and a visit to urgent care, I settled the kids into bed (my daughter in mine so I could keep a close eye on her and her fever) and wrote a heartfelt Facebook post.

I know that sounds cold, but you don't know my friends.  They are true and loving.  Thoughtful and prayerful.  I knew they'd have my back. What I underestimated, however, was how strongly I would feel their support.

Mere moments after pressing "post" my home phone rang, my cell buzzed with texts, and I received thoughtful messages and comments from friends in town and across the country.  The love and support expressed was overwhelming, bringing tears to my eyes and peace to my soul.  Knowing so many people were thinking and praying for our family was more powerful and peaceful than I could have imagined.


Writing letters to loved ones is something I've been intending to do for quite some time.  So, Tuesday morning, after my daughter's fever broke and inspired by the words that meant so much to me the night before, I settled down and wrote the first one.  And then another and another.  Wednesday, I did the same.  As well as Thursday and Friday.

I penned 15 letters in all...each one unique and personal and true.  Each one full of memories, hopes for the future, and words of appreciation and affection for the special someone it was addressed to.  But I'm far from done.  I find myself adding more names to my mental list of recipients with each letter I write.  I wrote another letter today and then added the name of a grade school teacher...whose address I now have to track down.  And I can't wait to begin!

Who are you going to write to?  What do you want to say?  How will you encourage/thank/forgive them?

"To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart." - Phyllis Theroux

PS: The beautiful stationary I used for my letters is by the always-beautiful, Rifle Paper Co.  You can purchase a set of 25 Monarch envelopes and a writing pad of 60 sheets here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment