Monday, November 18, 2019

Week 13: Party at the Food Pantry


November is one of my favorite months of the year: It gets dark earlier so I find myself lighting more candles, my Facebook and Instagram feeds are full of posts describing things people are thankful for, my family is home together in the evenings watching movies, playing games and my husband and I enjoy a nighcap most nights!

Thanksgiving is right around the corner! This weekend, my family and I went to the Saukville Community Food Pantry to drop off our donations and help set up for the festive meal they were about to serve.

(I'm on the board of directors and we had a lot of volunteers signed up to help with the meal service, so we let them have the fun of helping during the actual event!)

My children and I went shopping for some of the items I saw still needed to be donated at the end of the week and we helped sort through things, organize the pie station, set up a few chairs, fetch a large can of corn, etc. the morning of.

As always, it was fun to see so many kids there to volunteer for girl scouts, a school group, or with their families. Our food pantry is blessed to have support throughout the year. But it, along with an article I recently read, got me thinking about nonprofits who don't find themselves with volunteers the first 3 quarters of the year, only during the "season of giving."

If you're reading this, I encourage you to reach out to a local charity you believe in and get involved...year round! 

Gratitude isn't limited to the month of November. Giving back isn't reserved for December. They are appreciated and needed, YOU ARE NEEDED AND WILL BE APPRECIATED, every month of the year! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment