Friday, October 18, 2024

Week 16: Meet Remarkable Mable


I started Kindness Countdown 10 years ago to do some good with my kids. I did another round five years later because 1) It was a lot of fun, and 2) I knew it was the last round before my kids started moving onto all life has in store for them post-high school. 

I had wondered what this round would look like with two kids now in college. I'm thrilled they've still been making time to share in the experiences with me, when possible, but I'm also thankful for all of the special people in my life who have asked to be a part of this little project of mine. Last week was one of those.

My boyfriend's sister is a talented crafter. She makes us all personalized items each Christmas and crochets amazing items for the kids in the family. So when she asked if I wanted to partner up for something for the families staying at the Ronald McDonald House, I was honored to say YES!

Maria crocheted 50 chickens (she said each one took her 45 minutes!) over the course of a few weeks. I couldn't believe how adorable and sweet and soft they were when I first held them! We named them all Mabel.

Last week, we met at her mom's place to assemble 50 "Mabels" into bags with nesting material and an egg with a note inside that read "Hi, I'm Mable. I'm a chicken. You're not. YOU ARE BRAVE!" for the kids staying at the Ronald McDonald House while getting treatment at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin

We then loaded them all in a plastic bin and transported them to the RMDH to be gifted to their new families. 

It was great to hear how loved the staff there thought they would be, that they enjoyed the simple but sweet message, that it brought a smile to their faces as well, because I imagine their days are very rewarding but probably more than a little emotional. 

As we were leaving, we asked if they'd like us to do another drop off sometime next year. We gave them the inside scoop on what we had cooking. Sorry to say all y'all are gonna have to wait a bit longer to find out. But trust me when I say the talented Maria is crafting up something just as adorable! 

And it couldn't be for a more deserving organization who supports those going through an unimaginable season of life. They sure are brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment