Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Week 22: Friends Life Donation


This weekend, I made a donation to Friends Life Community in memory of my dear cousin Brandon who passed away from brain cancer last week.

Friends Life Community began in  2008 when four families with adult children with developmental disabilities decided to regularly meet in a church basement for an afternoon program. Within a few years, their program grew to meet the needs of over 40 participants and they established a permanent habitation program in Nashville.

Their mission is "to create an opportunity for teenagers and adults with disabilities to develop socially, grow personally, and enjoy community as they experience life together."

And I can tell you from experience, they do just that.


I was able to see the smile on my cousin Brandon's face as he returned home a few times from the day program: he was happy and fulfilled, having spent time with nice people doing new things.

The people at Friends Life Community welcomed my cousin with open arms as his abilities became impaired due to the disease. They treated him as one of their own, provided fun experiences, and showed him grace and acceptance.

I will forever be grateful for the love and care they showed my buddy, my cousin, my newest angel watching over me.

If you'd like to make a donation to this worthy organization, visit friendslife.org today.

No comments:

Post a Comment