Thursday, September 19, 2024

Week 12: Thank a Hero, Be a Hero


Last week marked the anniversary of September 11th. As the daughter of a firefighter, for me, it is a day of quiet and sadness and reflection and doing my best to honor those lost each year. As a result, last week's Kindness Countdown activity was two-part. 

I scheduled my bimonthly blood donation for September 10th, reflecting on the thousands of people who unknowingly saw their last day (with loved ones). Versiti, who I donate with, gave all donors a t-shirt printed with the Twin Towers and a circle of hands around it saying "Stronger Together: Save Lives in Memory of Those We Lost." 

It was a special donation. Unlike the large, upbeat donations I usually attend, this one was small and intimate, just four chairs set up. The other givers and I reflected on where we were that horrific day 23 years ago, who we hugged tight, what we've done since then to honor those whose lives changed that day. 

One woman said, "I try not to think about it too much, it was just such a sad day." I told her I understood that, and respect that everyone has their own way of coping, but that for me, I tell myself that the least I can do is feel it all over again, to seek out the remarkable stories of bravery and selflessness, of people coming together, to continue to push myself to live my life to its fullest because so many weren't given that opportunity. 

The next part of last week's KC activity included picking out sweet treats to take to my town's fire department. It consists almost entirely of volunteers, people who have full lives and careers but still find the time/generosity to serve their community in such a big way. 

I stopped at the store and picked out three of my favorite baked goods, picked up my daughter from school, and then we drove to the station. 

As we were walking to the office, I told her the unique smell of firehouses instantly takes me back to my childhood each time I step inside one; memories flood in of riding bikes to the station with my brother to visit our dad, taking my high school dance dates to pose for homecoming and prom photos on firetrucks, visiting during the dinners they'd take turns cooking for each other, like the family they were. 

And that's all that was lost for so many on 9/11. 

I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment