Thursday, September 26, 2024

Week 13: Free Gas? That's Bananas!


Each Summer, my parents rent a pontoon boat for two hours on a lake about 45 minutes away. They pick up Jimmy John's for everyone, pack a cooler with drinks; I make a playlist for the cruise and we all walk off happier, lighter (until we get our traditional custard at The Kiltie drive-in on the way home), and most of us still damp from the swim. It's one of our favorite days of the year. 

Last month, after we got home, that seasonal high we all felt came crashing to a halt when my daughter burst into the bathroom while I was showering yelling, "TURN OFF THE WATER, IT'S POURING INTO THE BASEMENT." We quickly learned the plumbers who had been there earlier in the day inserted the valve incorrectly restricting any water from leaving the property, therefore, pouring through any openings possible. 😭 Absolutely not what we needed that night when we all desperately required a shower and had a couple loads of beach towels to launder.

I'm happy to report we all rallied (after my initial panic attack), making even more loads of dirty towels to wash, welcoming another plumber who came to drain the pipes, and staying up way too late cleaning. A couple of weeks later a $100 Kwik Trip gift card arrived as an apology from the plumbers. All was forgiven...and I decided to make some lemonade out of the lemons. 

Last week, while pumping gas on my way to the airport at 8:00am, I *heard* a van approaching behind me. It was a sound I knew all too well after driving a similar car for years and I was moved to use the card that had been burning a hold in my pocketbook. 

I approached the man as he got out and said, "Hi, I was recently given a gift card and I'd like to share it with you. Can I buy your gas?" 

He said, "I just got off work and was going to put $10 in to get me to Friday." I said, "That's great news, let me fill it all the way up for you!"

He looked at me and ask skeptically, "How much are you going to charge me?"

I said, "Oh, nothing. I was given this card and want to do some good with it. May I fill up your tank?"

He smiled so big. I took that as a yes.

I inserted my card to charge the gas, told him to have a great day and started to walk away. (Note: the photo was taken separately, away from him, you know, for visual blog purposes. 😅 And the top photo was taken while visiting my daughter in Madison when I realized the Kwik Trip I was at was cute, I was wearing a bandana banana shirt, and had the banana card in my wallet with a future plan in place and it seemed meant to be.)

He said, "I'm so glad I was the first person you saw! Will the rest of the money be wasted since you won't be here?" 

I said, "Nope, it'll stay on the card and I'll give it to someone else some time. I hope you have a great day!"

"You too! Thanks again!" he said and that was that. 

I think he left feeling better than when he pulled in. I know I did. Funny how contagious happiness can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment