Saturday, August 3, 2024

Week 5: Wishing (Strangers) Well

It's time to share another installment of my little project. Well, actually, it's almost a week overdue. Oopsie. 😅 While I have no issue performing each week's activity, getting summaries written and posted by the following Monday (the schedule I set for myself), has proven to be less consistent. But if I'm going to choose a priority, it's the acts themselves. So, I present to you, better late than never, week 5:


When packing to spend last week in Colorado, I added hundreds of pennies to my backpack for the week's random act of kindness: leaving free wishes at a fountain in a popular plaza in downtown Fort Collins. 

I poured the pennies intp a plastic container, wrote out a note that read "FREE WISHES!! Make one for yourself and then call or video-chat a loved one to make one too!" and taped it to the container before heading out the door. 

My boyfriend scouted out nearby restaurants while I set up the pennies on the edge near the splashpad and outdoor piano set out for people to play.* Almost immediately, parents took their kids over to make wishes together. 

Mark and I enjoyed a great meal on the patio of CooperSmith's Pub & Brewing as we watched a group of teens in matching summer camp shirts take photos while making wishes, a kid pushing the envelope on the number of wishes he could make (his mom put the bin of pennies out of reach on top of the piano for some time 😂), and other strangers tossing their wishes towards the water. 

I said, "I wonder what everyone's wishes are. I'd bet some people are wishing for big things and others might be wishing for simple things we may take for granted." 

No matter what they wished for, I sure hope they all come true!!

* - Bravo to anyone on the team to make downtown Fort Collins beautiful, because y'all sure do a great job! The planters everywhere (including the alleys!) are incredible, the little waterfall on the medium always make me smile, and the pianos sprinkled around town get played more than you might think. Thanks for all you do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment